Sunday, March 21, 2010

Gypsy Rose Lee

"Men aren't attracted to me by my mind. They're attracted by what I don't mind."







Recognized as the mother of burlesque an overtime, exploited performance (altough not always focused on sex it was about humor and music). I found this Seattle native searching for famous born locals in a commonly male dominated collective. During the 1920's she is proclaimed to be, although how many young girls wish they were in fact, the inventor of the strip tease. Of course I would want to know more. My interest in this information is the passive aggressive representation of sexuality at hand. Although she was a "stripper," she never actually got undressed and was known for incorporating humor, and flashy outfits, actually talking to the audience which was uncommon for burlesque performers.A voice to the picture.

The walls of her home were filled with pictures by Joan MirĂ³, Pablo Picasso, Marc Chagall, Max Ernst, and Dorothea Tanning, all suggested to be directly from the artists themselves. An artistic muse to them, and myself as well. She is but one, and no I say not the most important, but recognized Seattle native.

Sometimes it is necessary to explain yourself and why you choose to draw certain objects. It seems emotional fantasy and romantic ambition happen within the blink of an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment